Tuesday, July 21

Review: How to Score by Robin Wells

Ugh, I finally kicked laziness to the curb! I hope it'll stay very far, very far away from me!! LOL :) So the plan is to have at least one review up per week. Since it's buddy reviews, it's a bit more work than just regular reviews and well, need two or more persons to read the same book (that can be difficult to arrange sometimes :P) If you're interested to buddy review a book with anyone of us, just leave a comment! :)

Today's review is How To Score by Robin Wells. I have to say thanks to Ames for three reasons: 1) making me buy it, 2) buddy reviewing it with me and 3) being so patient!! Thank you Ames! :)


How to Score by Robin Wells
published by Grand Central Publishing in June 2009

Her life coach...

Museum curator Sammi Matthews isn't just in a dating slump, she's putting men on the injured list. After giving one date a black eye and cracking another's rib, Sammi decides she needs professional help. Enter life coach Luke Jones, who advises Sammi on how to overcome her klutziness. And their phone sessions work! Sammi soon meets a sexy FBI agent who seems to know just what she needs.

...is changing her life

When his brother Luke goes into federal protection, FBI Special Agent Chase Jones agrees to cover for him. Then Sammi's hot voice sizzles down the line, and the usual "phone only" rule is out. With "Luke" coaching her by day, and Chase dating her by night, Sammi's confidence soars, along with her appeal. Chase falls hard, but how will Sammi feel if and when he comes clean? Chase would rather she break all his bones than risk breaking her heart.

Genre: contemporary
Series: ?


Nath: So I bought it because you said it was good and I agree, it was good :D

Ames: Yeah, it was. I really enjoyed it.

I usually don't like secret identity plots but in this case it worked really well. And the whole way it was dealt with was good too.


Nath: True, it worked well. I like the fact that Chase was conscious about the problem this was causing from the start. He didn't set out to lie to her... At first, he was simply curious and wanted to see her.

Ames: Yeah, he wasn't a bad guy. He had every intention of telling Sammi the truth but there was never a good time.

I like Sammi as a heroine. She was really smart and despite the fact that she hired a life coach, she had it pretty much together. Even her klutziness was cute.


Nath: You're right. I was actually surprised at how she had it together. All she had to deal with was a little klutziness and boost her self-confidence :) I kind of related a little bit with her about the part where she can't say "no" or doesn't know how to say "no." It's really not fun to be pushed around... So I really admired her character for taking the steps in order to change things that she was unhappy with in her life and thought she was really courageous.

As for Chase, I agree with you. There just wasn't any good time to tell her and at first, it wasn't going to be an issue because he didn't plan on getting involved with her and afterward, he didn't want to affect her self-confidence by not seeing her again... it's just unfortunate that he ended up in such a complicated situation :P What I liked about Chase though is that he was level-headed and realistic - he realized right away that she'd be angry at him and their relationship would be at risk.


Ames: What I also liked about Chase was the fact that he wasn't scared to be in a relationship with Sammi. Once he realized the way things were going, he wanted to be with her and tell her the truth. He was a good guy. It was funny how Sammi kept hurting him and yet he wasn't scared away. LOL

Nath: Hmmm, I don't know, but I thought it took him a while to take the first jump, to admit to himself that he was interested in Sammi, that she meant more... that he wasn't just helping her.

Ames: Maybe. The secondary romance was also enjoyable. Her boss's story was kind of sad and I'm glad she got an HEA too. And the house, the house and the architecture was also like a character and I found it very interesting.

Nath: I thought the secondary characters were interesting. I liked the fact that Sammi's boss and landlord weren't evil or nasty. I think their characters were well developed and circumstances in their lives shaped their current mood/action/personality. Have to say, I'm more fond of Sammi's landlord than her boss, but then her story was indeed very sad :( I think that the seriousness the secondary characters and romance provided was important because it balanced out the humor in Chase and Sammi's.

What really make How To Score stands out though was the humor! It's been a while since I've last laughed so much while reading a book... and it wasn't a chuckle at some sarcastic or cynical comments! and LOL, Horace stole the show!


Ames: Horace was so funny! I like how he turned up at the end. LOL

Nath: The part where Horace's assignment was to call for the apartments and he was re-telling how it went to Chase!! Hilarious!! And you're right, it was so funny when he turned up at the end. I'm glad he showed up and did a bit more :)

I actually really liked Chase and Sammi's characters. They were good people and interesting characters.... and Chase's SCABHOG plan! LOL as if that will ever work.


Ames: OMG! I completely forgot about SCABHOG!! And that was such a funny thing. LOL Seriously, people need to read this book just to laugh over the funniness that is SCABHOG.

I'm really glad I picked up this book. I'll definitely be looking for more by this author.


Nath: Me too :) I'm going to look for her backlist... or at least try.

I have to admit though, I would have liked some more closure at the end... That's my only complaint.


Ames: I do like what Chase did in the ending though. He did something he had a real phobia about and it was good. But yeah, there could have been a bit more.

Nath: Oh, I like his grand gesture and it was actually pretty cute and funny. Grand gesture are always nice in my opinion :) I just wished for a little more closure. Just a little.

I'm also happy that there was no sequel-baiting, although I wish we'll see the characters again :)

I'm giving it a B+. How To Score was simply a cute and fun :) Perfect to pass time or if you're in the mood for something light and fun.


Ames: It was totally light and fun, a straight up contemporary romance with no NAVY SEALS or anything like that. It made me laugh. I'm giving it a B+ too!

Nath: I know! I thought the idea of a life coach was great and original :D and although Chase was an FBI agent, it didn't overtake the storyline.

Ames: Yeah, I liked how the FBI stuff kind of took place before the story began.

21 comments:

Monroe Dawson said...

Hey lovely ladies great review! Iv'e been wanting to read this book so I guess I need to go pick it up now! And yall know I'm always up for doing buddy reviews just let me know! :o)

~ames~ said...

You'll enjoy this book Monroe. It's cute. :P

Rowena said...

Oh yay, I want to read this book...more now that I've read your reviews!

Thanks ladies!

Lori said...

Hmmm... I've seem mixed reviews of this, but it does seem right up my alley. Thanks girls!

nath said...

Monroe - I'll keep your offer in mind, Monroe! LOL :) What are you reading now? :P

Rowena - LOL, I hope you enjoy it, Ro!

Lori - I thought it was really cute :) You should give it a try!

Monroe Dawson said...

Nath-
Hey hun! Right now I'm finishing up Dance with the Devil (Dark Hunter)and I'll start Double Play by Jill Shalvis tongiht! :o) What are oyu reading at the moment?

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Very Nice Review Ladies!!!
Always in awe after you guys get finsihed with something like this!!! The work it takes!! *takin hat to you guys for such great work*
I hope you all had a great day and wonderful tomorrow!

~ames~ said...

Wena - I really think you'll enjoy it. It's pretty funny.

Lori-Really? I still say give it a shot. :P

Cecile-We love books so its just so much fun! I'll get you to do a buddy review with me one of these days!

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

LOL!!! Honey, you just name the book and the date! =)
I can agree with the love of books! They never leave home without me!

CindyS said...

A flat out contemporary romance without a bunch of car chases and running from evil doers?

I'm in!

CindyS

~ames~ said...

Cecile-Great!

Cindy-There's a bit of running - but nothing to sweat over. It's a contemporary romance straight through. :P

nath said...

Cecile - Yeah, it's a lot of work, but the end result is worth it :) Glad you enjoyed the review :)

Cindy - Like Ames said, there is a little bit of running, but otherwise, it's straight, straight, straight :)

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Ames ~ One day... =)

Nath ~ Yes, they do seem like a lot of work, but well worth it when a review comes out like this!!! Very much enjoyed it!

Robin Wells said...

Thanks so much for the great review! I'm thrilled you liked the book, because I had a lot of fun writing it. Robin Wells

~ames~ said...

Thanks for stopping by Robin!

I look forward to your next book. :P

Leslie said...

Wonderful review ladies. :) I've been seeing this book around blogland a lot! It definitely sounds like something I'd like. Adding to TBB list. ;)

Hilcia said...

Great review. This is just what I'm looking for ATM. Fun contemps to add to my list. Thanks ladies!

~ames~ said...

Leslie - Glad to add to your list. LOL

Hilcia - Hope you enjoy it!!

nath said...

Robin Wells - It was a great book, Robin :) So it deserved a good review :)

I'm curious, is there going to be a sequel? Is Luke going to get his own book?

Leslie - Really, you've seen this book around? LOL, I haven't really :) I hope you enjoy it!

Hilcia - Hope you enjoy it, it was a fun contemp :) Chase was a FBI agent and his job did play a role in the storyline, but it wasn't the main focus :)

Jill D. said...

Wow, a B+ from both of you - whoohoo! I just got this from the library so I haven't read your review yet (in case of spoilers). I'll come back to it after I have read it. Now, I am really looking forward to it!

nath said...

Jill - I hope you enjoy it Jill :) It's a fun and quick read, perhaps it'll pull you out of your reading slump!!

Don't forget to come back, I'll look forward to your thoughts on it!