Monday, July 8

Buddy Review: Wait for You by J. Lynn

Wait For You by J. Lynn
Self-published in February 2013
Some things are worth waiting for...

Traveling thousands of miles from home to enter college is the only way nineteen-year-old Avery Morgansten can escape what happened at the Halloween party five years ago—an event that forever changed her life. All she needs to do is make it to her classes on time, make sure the bracelet on her left wrist stays in place, not draw any attention to herself, and maybe—please God—make a few friends, because surely that would be a nice change of pace. The one thing she didn’t need and never planned on was capturing the attention of the one guy who could shatter the precarious future she’s building for herself.

Some things are worth experiencing...

Cameron Hamilton is six feet and three inches of swoon-worthy hotness, complete with a pair of striking blue eyes and a remarkable ability to make her want things she believed were irrevocably stolen from her. She knows she needs to stay away from him, but Cam is freaking everywhere, with his charm, his witty banter, and that damn dimple that’s just so… so lickable. Getting involved with him is dangerous, but when ignoring the simmering tension that sparks whenever they are around each other becomes impossible, he brings out a side of her she never knew existed.

Some things should never be kept quiet...

But when Avery starts receiving threatening emails and phone calls forcing her to face a past she wants silenced, she’s has no other choice but to acknowledge that someone is refusing to allow her to let go of that night when everything changed. When the devastating truth comes out, will she resurface this time with one less scar? And can Cam be there to help her or will he be dragged down with her?

And some things are worth fighting for…
Genre:  New Adult
Series:  Wait For You #1

The story: Avery Morgansten is attending college thousands of miles away from home to escape what happened to her five years ago. She wants to be as far away from home and the memories that come with it. She wants to move on with her life. But things don’t always happen the way that you want them to. She hasn’t gotten over what happened to her and meeting the charming and super sexy Cam Hamilton doesn’t change that.

When Cam comes into her life, Avery is thrown because she wasn’t planning on diving into a relationship. She’s a mess but when Cam refuses to go away, she decides to enjoy it but when her problem from back home doesn’t go away, Avery’s world comes crashing down and threatens the new life she’s building.

Rowena: So, I loved this book. What did you think?

Ames: I thought this book was ok. I did not connect with Avery and the only saving grace to me was Cam and his infinite patience and understanding. I thought that although Avery's character did grow, it was too little too late for me.

Rowena: I guess where Avery is concerned, I was much more interested in finding out what the heck happened five years ago on Halloween night and knew that it had to have been pretty big because Avery was a complete mess in this story. I wanted to know about the big bracelet that she never takes off. I wanted to know where the hell her parents were and why they weren’t more supportive of her. I wanted to know why she was acting the way that she was acting so while I did have my frustrations with her characters, I didn’t let them get to me. I wanted to understand so I let her slide with a bunch of stuff but like you, she frustrated the hell out of me sometimes.

Cam was an amazing addition to this story. He was one of those guys that makes people sit up and take notice. His charm and his personality shines through in everything that he does and he’s not a dick. He’s a college guy that acts like a college guy but he’s also a nice guy. I loved the way that he was with Avery. How patient he was and the way that he was always there for her. I want my own Cam!

Ames: I guessed what happened to Avery early on in the story, even what was under that bracelet. And omg I hated her parents!! And her cousin. Like how horrible were they? Sheesh. My frustration with Avery's character was that she wasn't a fighter about her situation. If she had said a big eff you to everyone after what happened, that would have made me like her better. Even going away for college, that would have been a perfect jumping off point for her to reclaim herself. But she was too battered to use that chance to start over until too late in the story. And hello! Colleges have student services to help with stuff like what she went through.

I want my own Cam too. He really was the perfect guy.

Rowena: I hear you about the whole Avery thing. It did get annoying some times and I did wish that she fought a little more for herself and everything so I get you. I hated her parents too. Even her Dad. We see her Dad come around in the end but for me, that was too little, too late. She went through the wringer for a long time and he just sat by, letting it all happen. Letting her go through all of that alone. He was the adult in that situation and he didn’t speak up for her when she needed him to? We’re supposed to forgive all of that because he came outside and gave her that fake, too late apology (did he even apologize? I can’t remember)...ugh.

I think she was ignorant about everything. She lived through it all by herself and she was scared because of the NDA she signed. She probably thought she was going to get into serious trouble if she said anything to anyone so she dealt with it all by herself. I mean, if you think about it...she refused to fill Cam in on anything until she just about lost him.

But damn, that Cam. Loved him. There wasn’t any part of him that I didn’t like. Well, when he finally lets Avery have it for shutting him out at every turn, my first thought was FINALLY! I thought it took him far too long to get to that point. I was already hoping for that explosion for 100 pages before it finally happened. Alright, I gotta know…who’s book are you looking forward to more, Jase and Teresa or Brit’s?

Ames: You know what I liked about Cam? His pet turtle. LOL And how much he cared about his younger sister. *swoon*

I get what Avery was going through, and she was only 14 when everything went down and so that's 4 years of being in that mind-set, I just wanted to see a bit more fight from her. I do realize because all the people in her life who should have cared about her turned their backs on her almost made it hard for her to open up again. It just bugged me. I just recently read a book too where the heroine had something similar happen to her when she was 16 and she used that opportunity to turn her whole life around. That's something I wanted from Avery. Ah well. Wait for You was well written though. As much as Avery annoyed me, I kept reading because I did want to see her open her eyes and see who was standing in front of her. And I wanted to read more of Cam.

I want to see more from Jase and Brit. I liked Avery and Cam's friends.

Rowena: I loved the way Cam was with his family and the way he was with his friends. And I loved his turtle too. And that he got Avery one too. You know, Cam was almost too perfect and sometimes for me, that could be a problem but I thought J. Lynn did a fabulous job of making us fall in love with Cam without making him too good to go be true (even though he probably is but I don’t care, I love him!). He was an interesting character and a swoonworthy love interest. One of my favorites, scratch that, my favorite love interest of the summer so far.

I was kind of hoping that Jase’s story would be with Brit but I’m curious to find out what happens between him and Cam’s sister, Teresa. Should be an interesting story. Will you be interested in continuing this series?

Who do you think Brit is going to end up with? Someone new or...Ollie?

Ames: I think Ollie is too goofy to be paired up with Brit. But I think Jase and Teresa could be interesting.

All right, because Avery was such a downer, I have to give Wait For You a C. It was just ok overall for me. What about you?

Rowena: I want to see Ollie grow up and I think him being paired with Brit would be good…for him. =) I’m looking forward to reading Jase and Teresa’s story. Like I’m anxious to read it. I really adored this story and came to like Avery and for that, I’m giving this an A.

For July, Rowena and I will be reading the Hot Summer Nights anthology.

No comments: