Thursday, May 29

Buddy Review: Breakable by Tammara Webber

All right peeps! Rowena and I are going strong with our monthly buddy reviews. And this month we decided to read Breakable by Tammara Webber since we both loved Easy so much. So yeah, if you haven't read Easy our review may be spoilerish since this is Easy from the hero's point of view. :P

Breakable by Tammara Webber
published by Berkley in May 2014
He was lost and alone. Then he found her.
And the future seemed more fragile than ever.


As a child, Landon Lucas Maxfield believed his life was perfect and looked forward to a future filled with promise — until tragedy tore his family apart and made him doubt everything he ever believed.

All he wanted was to leave the past behind. When he met Jacqueline Wallace, his desire to be everything she needed came so easy…

As easy as it could be for a man who learned that the soul is breakable and that everything you hoped for could be ripped away in a heartbeat.
Genre: New Adult
Series: Contours of the Heart #2

Rowena: I feel like it's been a long time since we've done a buddy review and it was just last month. A few weeks ago, Holly read this book and she enjoyed it so it brought the first book in this series (Contours of the Heart) back onto my radar. It also made me want to read this book so I was really hyped up to read the book but while I enjoyed the book, I don't think I liked this one as much as I liked Easy.

Weird.

What did you think about Breakable, Ames?

Ames: It does feel like it's been a while! Maybe because we're trying to repress the last book we read. LOL

I re-read Easy not too long ago to get familiar with the story again and doing so made me eager to read Breakable. I felt that it was slow to start but then I got sucked into it. I didn't like it as much as I liked Easy but it was still fun to read things from Lucas' point of view.

One thing that surprised me was Lucas' view of their relationship. He went into it thinking they'd be together for the semester and then they'd go their separate ways once school finished. And he felt like that for a long time! But he admitted he loved Jacqueline. He just didn't see it being a long-term thing. Thinking back to Jacqueline's point of view...I did not get that sense of things from him at all. LOL

Rowena: I should have read Easy again before I started this one because I forgot a lot of stuff from that book. Huh, you're right though. Lucas' view of the relationship was completely different from what I thought it was when reading Easy. But I didn't doubt that he was in love with Jacqueline. Well, not much anyway. There were times when I didn't feel like he felt the connection as strongly as I remember it from Easy.

But it was nice to read the story from Lucas' point of view. It was nice to really get to know Professor Heller and his family. I also liked seeing the people in Lucas' life before Jacqueline. Meeting Boyce and Pearl and hell, even Melody. It did a lot to make Lucas even more real to me than he was in Easy. I absolutely loved him in Easy but in Breakable, I remembered why. He was such a good guy and the guilt he carried after his Mom died really gutted me. The feels, there was a lot of them in this book.

Ames: If someone was to come into this book without having read Easy, I think they'd wonder about Jacqueline's connection. We know she fell for Lucas because that's what Easy is about. But from Lucas' POV? When he thinks she just wants a rebound guy...one can doubt her feelings. I didn't see that while I was reading, but thinking about it...yeah, her feelings don't come across as strongly.

It was good to see things from his side. I liked the look into his life before he met Jacqueline. Like you I enjoyed Boyce and Pearl. I hope they get a story. And to see the pain he went through, losing his mom and grandfather and his father pulling away emotionally. So basically losing everyone in his life. I'm glad Heller came through and helped him out. And that makes me mad at his dad, he couldn't even pull his head out of his ass to help his own son. Sheesh.

Rowena: If Webber wrote Boyce and Pearl a story, I'd read it. I would really like to see more into their backgrounds. They were decent characters and it'd be a treat to get to know them better.

What's your final grade for this book?

Ames: All in all, I enjoyed Breakable and give it a B. However, I don't feel like it can be read as a stand-alone. Definitely read Easy before reading Breakable. You?

Rowena: I agree. I'd give it a B but feel that book needs to be read after reading Easy. The full effect is needed to enjoy this one.

~~
For June, if you're interested in reading as well, Rowena and I are going to read and review All Lined Up by Cora Carmack.

No comments: