Tuesday, August 26

Buddy Review: Make It Count

**Rowena and Ames are back together! I got over my dreaded epic slump (4 books read in July, wtf??) and was able to get us back on track for August. Thanks to Nath for covering for me in July. :P **

Wena: Our August book of the month is Make it Count by Megan Erickson. It was Ames turn to pick a book and when she suggested this one, I was all about it.

Make It Count by Megan Erickson
Published by William Morrow
Kat Caruso wishes her brain had a return policy, or at least a complaint hot-line. The defective organ is constantly distracted, terrible at statistics, and absolutely flooded with inappropriate thoughts about her boyfriend’s gorgeous best friend, Alec…who just so happens to be her brand new math tutor. Who knew nerd was so hot?

Kat usually goes through tutors like she does boyfriends—both always seem to bail when they realize how hopeless she is. It’s safer for her heart to keep everyone at arm’s reach. But Alec is always stepping just a little too close.

Alec Stone should not be fantasizing about Kat. She’s adorable, unbelievably witty, and completely off limits. He’d never stab his best friend in the back…

But when secrets are revealed, the lines of loyalty are blurred. To make it count, Alec must learn messy human emotions can’t be solved like a trigonometry function. And Kat has to trust Alec may be the first guy to want her for who she is, and not in spite of it.
Genre: New Adult
Series: Bowler University #1

This book is about a boy and a girl, the boy is a nerd and the girl is the nerd's best friend. She needs a tutor and Nerd Boy becomes her tutor and a bond is formed, then feelings grow and BAM, they're in love with each other. This book caught all of the highs, the lows and most definitely all of the drama.

Rowena: You're not going to believe this but on my drive to San Francisco, I made Brenna (my 15 year old daughter) read this book out loud to me. It was like having my own real life audiobook. She didn't read for that long but she read long enough that I was curious enough to want to read on.

I liked this book. It wasn't perfect but I did like it. I liked Alec. I liked Kat. I liked the secondary characters, even Max. Do you think Shanna and Cam will end up together or someone completely different?

What did you think?

Ames: Lol! Did she talk with different voices for the dialog?

I agree. At the beginning some writing stuff popped out for me but as the book went on those issues smoothed out. But right from the get go I was into these characters. I liked Kat and loooved Alec. I had quite a few lol moments.

As for Shanna and Cam, I'm going to say no. I want to know what happened between them but don't want to see them together. Let's switch things up and avoid the obvious sequel bait!

Rowena: Are you kidding me? She read in a monotone that if I had to sit and listen to for hours on end, I'd be bored to death. LOL. I had to pay close attention to the words she was saying because it was that, that kept me interested. She's a terrible audiobook reader because she kept stopping to laugh at whatever Kat and Alec were thinking. Crackhead.

I was expecting to like both of the main characters so I wasn't surprised that I loved each of them off the bat but there were things about the both of them that made me want to smack some sense into them.

With Kat, it was how quick she was to assume the worst in everyone. And at times, how dramatic she was about everything under the sun but through all of that, I still really liked her character. I liked how she never once hid the truth about her crush on Alec from herself. Lie to everyone if you have to but I don't like when characters lie to themselves. The same with Alec. I liked that he was upfront about his feelings from the beginning. And his guilt? Yeah, I liked it but the thing that bothered me about him was how mad he got at Max about, well, you know what. I felt like, be angry at Max but keep in mind that you aren't exactly an angel either.

You don't think Shanna and Cam are going to get together? Oh man. I want them to. I want to see Shanna tame Cam's wild self.

Ames: Ok, as much as Kat annoyed me, I did feel for her. But at the same time, I was wondering how she could be so clueless. When I was in high school we learned about learning disabilities and even in university, people could volunteer to take notes for students that couldn't do it themselves (and yes I did this). However, despite how I grew up, I get that she would be defensive about being seen as dumb (since she thought she was and everyone but Alec treated her that way). And Alec. I liked his cluelessness. That's such a guy thing. I really liked Alec. And you know what else I liked? That dancing scene. That was HOT!!

I hate to say it but I predicted that ish between Max and whats her name (dont want to give it away). I saw that one coming a mile away. LOL But I still want to read Max's book! He wasn't a total douche canoe.

Rowena: I hear you. I didn't like the way the whole thing with Max ended in this book. I wish that it had happened differently. Like, I wish that Max didn't end up taking the brunt of the blame for everything. I wished that they could have fought about it (the boys) and then they could have eventually fixed their differences. I didn't like that Max had to be that guy in order for Alec and Kat to be together. I wasn't a fan of that.

I liked that dance too even though I was like, "What are you doing Alec? Max is YOUR BEST FRIEND!" the whole time. Because no matter how much of a dick Max was to Kat, they were still in the wrong for that dance. Just ask Cam. :)

Do you know if this is going to be an ongoing series or like a trilogy or something like that?

Ames: I think I saw a couple more books on Goodreads but I didn't want to peek ahead. Lol

That was part of why I liked the dancing scene. It was so taboo. And Max kept throwing these two together, and he admitted to doing it on purpose.

Rowena: After I finished this book, I peeked ahead and I'm not mad that I did. LOL. I figured I knew who was getting a book and who was going to end up together and I'm glad for the next book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

So what are your final thoughts on the book? Are you glad you read it? Best book you've read all year?

For me, this book was good but it wasn't the best book that I read. I mean, I liked it but I didn't LOVE it and want to have its babies. There were some issues that I had with it but overall, I had a good reading experience and will definitely be reading more from this author and this series. My favorite part of this book was Alec. I loved how open and honest he was, even when he was being a butthead. It was a good book and I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.

You?

Ames: I agree with you. It was very enjoyable and I will definitely read more from this author. I am going to give this one a B (3.75). I liked Kat's sense of humor. She said a few things that cracked me up and overall I enjoyed this romance. :)

1 comment:

Rowena said...

The dream team is back together again! :) LOL.