Tuesday, September 15

What happens in London

For this review I asked Rowena to read with me. She started reading it a few days before me because I was reading another book at the same time. (Storm Born) I SO wish I had put down Storm Born and went right to the historical.

What Happens in London by Julia Quinn

When Olivia Bevelstoke is told that her new neighbor may have killed his fiancée, she doesn't believe it for a second, but still, how can she help spying on him, just to be sure? So she stakes out a spot near her bedroom window, cleverly concealed by curtains, watches, and waits... and discovers a most intriguing man, who is definitely up to something.

Sir Harry Valentine works for the boring branch of the War Office, translating documents vital to national security. He's not a spy, but he's had all the training, and when a gorgeous blonde begins to watch him from her window, he is instantly suspicious. But just when he decides that she's nothing more than a nosy debutante, he discovers that she might be engaged to a foreign prince, who might be plotting against England. And when Harry is roped into spying on Olivia, he discovers that he might be falling for her himself...



Rowena:
Just wanted to let you know that I finished WHAT HAPPENS IN LONDON by JQ and am ready whenever you are to review it! =)

Chantal: Wooohooo, I'm not done yet, but so far I like it :)

Rowena:
No worries, I read it over the weekend (well Friday night), it had me laughing throughout the entire book.

Chantal:
I'm glad you said that. I've been giggling, too. Happy to hear that it stays funny.

Rowena:
It does and I hear that JQ is writing Sebastian’s book next, woot!

Chantal: Do you know if she started Sebastian's book yet or is she still in the planning stages? I'm very excited to read it.

Rowena:
Sebastian’s book is coming out soon, I’m not sure if she started it but it’s on the horizon so….WOOT!

(Two days later)

Chantal:
I'm done! Wow, I loved it. Did you??
It was so funny, I giggled out loud several times.

Rowena:
I loved it too! It took me no time at all to read it and it’s been a week since I’ve read it and still I’m cheesing over it. I already know what grade I’m giving it.

Chantal: I have a theory about that book in the story. I think that Sebastian is the author!! That's why he was so good at reading it.
When Olivia returned to her drawing room to see Seb standing on the table acting out the book--omg, I laughed so hard.

Rowena:
You think so? LOL LOL LOL. That totally makes sense. I laughed so much throughout the entire book from Harry’s hat to the reading in Olivia’s sitting room. From Harry and Prince Alexei’s bickering to Olivia and Harry talking through their windows and then every scene that Sebastian was in. I loved it. I loved it all.

Chantal:
The hat! LOL! He wore the silly hat to annoy her and amuse himself. Hehe.

Doesn't it make sense that Seb is the author? He was put off to find out that not everyone loved it, he was way, way into reading it to everyone. Plus he and author both have the same first letters in their first and last names. Hmmm...

Rowena:
Oh my gosh, I didn’t even pick up on that but you’re right. It’s totally Sebastian. I mean, he knew everything about the book, about the other books and he seemed to get miffed when everyone was talking trash about it. I cannot wait for Sebastian’s story.

Chantal:
I've said it before, but I have to say it again--this book was so funny and oh so romantic. I thought it was perfect that he proposed from the window. That's how they fell in love, it was fitting.

Rowena:
I know! It was pretty cheesy but I didn’t mind it. I thought this entire story was such a fun, warm and charming story. The characters were lively and the dialogue was fantastic. So much to love about this book.

Chantal: It was amazing. This is the Julia Quinn that I fell in love with!

Rowena:
I totally agree. This is the Julia Quinn that I remember and the Julia Quinn that I love. I was totally engaged in this story. All of the characters were so much fun to get to know that it made reading this book zip right by. I didn’t want it to end. I wanted the laughs to continue and I even wanted to see more of Prince Alexei even though the little scheme at the end of the book was kind of lame. I still enjoyed the heck out of this book.


Chantal: Prince Alexei! I liked him, too. Um, as much as you can like someone who says he wants to rape someone. Ick. I was thrilled when we found out what they were saying. We knew it was bad because Harry wanted to punch him in the face, but there was a bit of suspense with us waiting to find out exactly what was being said.

Rowena: So how much did you love the interactions between just about everyone in this book? From Olivia and her twin brother Winston to Harry and Sebastian and finally Harry and Olivia? How cute were all of them? I can’t tell you enough how much I loved this book.


Chantal:
Oh, the interactions were perfect. Charming, witty, entertaining, and engaging. Every piece of dialogue, from the first page to the very last, had me riveted.

What did you think of Harry's childhood? I liked how the author showed us how he grew up, how things were with his father and the respect he had for his mean grandmother. Even though she came off as a crabby old witch, I liked her.


Rowena:
I liked reading about Harry’s past and I was really glad that Harry didn’t grow up to be his father. I’d also be very interested to read Harry’s brother’s book but first, it has to Sebastian. I LOVE Sebastian. I really like the warmth between the two cousins. I loved the sparring of words and the genuine affection they held for each other. They really had each other’s back and I loved that! I’m telling you, Harry was the sexiest kind of nerd there is. I just ate him up. I liked Harry’s grandmother too…a lot more than I liked his mother. I loved listening to Harry find out about how their grandmother died at the table from his sister. The way that she described the Mom, it was sad but it also made me laugh.

I can’t say enough good things about this book because it was fanfrickin’tastic!

Chantal:
Same here! There isn't a negative things to be said about this book.

I never thought of Harry as a nerd. Sure, he was smart, but a nerd wasn't at all on my radar.

It goes without saying that this book is an
A+ for me. There is much hope for Sebastion's book. I hope it's as great as this one was.

Rowena: Would you want Sebastian to end up with someone we met in this book or a totally new heroine? Oh and did you read the first book, the Miranda Cheever book? You know who else I’d like to see again? Winston!

I give this book a total A+ my dang self. I want another book just like this one to read right now. I could use the laughs, I’ve had a hellish week!

Chantal: Yep, I read the first book. I liked getting the little updates about Miranda in this book.

I'd like to see Seb with a totally new heroine.

Rowena: You know I trust JQ enough to enjoy whatever she decides for Sebastian. I’m not picky at all.

8 comments:

Lori said...

I also loved this one. So nice to have a great beta hero, too.

Hilcia said...

This was such a fun book! One of the most enjoyable reads this summer. I'm also looking forward to Seb's book. Great theory there... I never thought of him as being the writer, lol!

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Very well done ladies! I have this book in my TBR pile, yea the one that is taking over my closet... but it is there I promise!
I did read the review and loved it without even reading the book yet!
You know I always love your reviews! And I am glad that see that this book made you both laugh!!! Looking forward to reading it even more!
Hope you all have a great day!

Chantal said...

Cecile, read it SOON!

Rowena said...

I have to ditto Chantal, Cecile, read this book SOON!

Chantal said...

Oh, my gosh, LOL
Wena, look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QztQ5-VKsYM

nath said...

This was a very cute book, I'm glad you gals enjoyed it... especially you Chantal :) You said you didn't like beta heroes LOL :)

Isabel said...

I just finished this one. I thought it was cute. And i busting up laughing when Harry was making fun of Sebastian screaming like a girl. And I just loved when Olivia walked into the room and everyone was into to Sebastian reading aloud.